2006-03-24

Donne's biggest faux fan

.

I claim to be a big John Donne fan. His conceits, I say, are some of the best conceits ever put to paper. But I did not realize that the original name of Melyngoch's blog was referencing a Donne poem. And when I took the CSET last Saturday, there were two Donne questions referencing five poems--none of which I had ever read before. (This is how I finally learned what Mel was referencing.)

I am a big Alexander Pope fan. I haven't read Pope in, gosh, eight years.

I am a big Shakespeare fan. I haven't read anything by the ole Bard in at least three years.

All this not reading is killing me. Fortunately I'm a pretty clever person, and on the CSET I was able to make some reasonable stabs at the questions. But I must admit I did not realize that to teach California high schoolers I would have to become expert in the literature of the Caribbean. I doubt I got that question right.

So! After I finish my current stack of books, I suppose I must replenish it with

a) dead British guys

b) living Caribbean folk

c) other stuff that will make people think I'm smart

Suggestions?

15 comments:

  1. .

    Self-redemption:

    Although I did not immediately recognize it, I have read the Holy Sonnets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Great, Katya. Now I'll never have time for sleep again. Even if I skip Horatio Alger....

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D

    At one point, I had it all printed out on a single sheet of paper, at about 4 pt font (I believe) with the ones I'd read highlighted. There weren't very many.

    At least promise that you'll participate in the next BBBC selection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    I keep looking at that and getting nervous.

    I will promise to consider it carefully and follow it closely. Maybe May will be my month to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a secret love affair with John Donne. I know, it may seem a bit unnatural with him being dead and everything, but no... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    As long as you don't mind threesomes with fleas....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donne is wonderful and fabulous, etc., etc., etc., but my secret literary affair is with Salinger. Go read Franny and Zooey. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. .

    I wrote a parody of Catcher called "Bubblewrap in the Rye"--you may have seen it. It was in the Tehachapi News last year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judging by the number of great titles by him on Katya's list, I'm going to have to have a secret love affair with Unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. .

    Oh, Master Fob! He will love you back then leave you weeping in your Postum! He is a cruel, cruel lover, yet you'll never regret a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My love affair with John Donne is many things, but it is not secret. (Especially now that you've put up links all over the place and everyone knows about it now thanks loads! huh.) My love affair with the Beowulf poet, though, is a sweet, slow, silent thing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, and if you want some living Carribeans, try Edwidge Danticat. Especially if you don't have enough depression in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. th.- The likely pick for the April BBBC is even based on a John Donne poem. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. .

    Katya--I can hardly wait, now.

    Mel--Sorry and he wasn't even one of the ones on the test and I don't and I'm telling.

    ReplyDelete