2009-01-14

RRR: One Story

One Story.

I think about it all the time, but I have yet to post about my favorite literary magazine in the world, One Story.

The magazine is just what it sounds like: one story per issue. I have a shelf filled with their colorful stapled spines.

One Story is perfect for a pocket, for a walk, for paper companionship. It's bitesize --- eighteen delicious bites a year.

And One Story *is* delicious. The reason it's my favorite is because it is the most consistently excellent venue for short fiction I know. There have been a couple duds, but even in those cases, the stories weren't lousy.

I like One Story so much that I don't mind them rejecting me. I hate hate hate being rejected by magazines that publish work of a lower quality than my own, but One Story maintains consistent excellence and so I cannot complain.

And: One Story has a dapper website than includes an interview with each author. I like that.

I can't recommend a literary rag more highly; if you've been looking for one to subscribe to, send your $21 here (only $18 to renew!). You won't regret it.

12/17/08 11:17 PM

3 comments:

  1. Interesting... I will have to consider this, seriously. I'm always looking for a good read. This would be something I could fit into a short evening per issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    It's perfect for many things, that being one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    This bit of spam was blocked, but I thought it was too wonderful to be lost:

    Foreign bodies may include small particles such as dirt, an eyelash or plant matter, though some people may have small pieces of metal in their eye. Exhale and contract the abdominal muscles while pressing your hips upwards off the floor. In the first feature it took close to four hours.

    ReplyDelete