2009-01-30

Oscar Wisdom Frothing

.

    * = have seen
    † = glad I haven't seen
    ‡ = don't quite care either way
    § = wanna see
    ** = really wanna see
    †† = gotta see


Apparently, this year I just don't care:
    ‡Auf der Strecke (On the Line)
    § Australia
    ‡ The Baader Meinhof Complex
    ‡ The Betrayal (Nerakhoon)
    * Bolt
    ‡ Changeling
    ‡ The Class
    ‡ The Conscience of Nhem En
    ** The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    * The Dark Knght
    ‡ Defiance
    ‡ Departures
    § Doubt
    ‡ The Duchess
    ‡ Encounters at the End of the World
    ‡ The Final Inch
    § Frost/Nixon
    § Frozen River
    ‡ The Garden
    § Happy-Go-Lucky
    * Hellboy II: The Golden Army
    § In Bruges
    * Iron Man
    ** Kung Fu Panda
    ** Lavatory - Lovestory
    ‡ La Maison en Petits Cube
    ‡ Man on Wire
    ‡ Manon on the Asphalt
    ‡ Milk
    ‡ New Boy
    ** Oktapodi
    § The Pig
    * Presto
    ‡ Rachel Getting Married
    § The Reader
    ‡ Revanche
    § Revolutionary Road
    § Slumdog Millionaire
    § Smile Pinki
    ‡ Spielseugland (Toyland)
    * This Way Up
    § Tropic Thunder
    ‡ Trouble the Water
    § Vicky Christina Barcelona
    ‡ The Visitor
    * WALL*E
    ‡ Waltz with Bashir
    § Wanted
    ‡ The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306
    ‡ The Wrestler

10 comments:

  1. You seem to care a little more than I as my list would have a few more ‡ than yours does. I've read and heard that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is pretty much Forest Gump repackaged. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Oh, I hope not. I despise Forrest Gump as one of the most undeserving Best Picture winners of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids all want to see Benjamin Button. I'm pretty lukewarm about the movie. Though I am pretty certain I'd be more interested in the movie if it weren't for Brad Pitt. I've got an irrational distaste for the actor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    That's a shame. Before I started seeing movies with him in them I couldn't stand him either, but now I think he's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've certainly enjoyed movies that have also been Brad Pitt vehicles. Seven was an awesome movie as was Legends of the Fall. There are a few others I enjoyed. I need to have other compelling reasons to help me want to watch a movie that he is in.

    I have not heard enough about Benjamin Button to have much of a desire to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    Here's three that interested me:

    It's a Fitzgerald story with an unlikehim twist of the unreal.

    It has Cate Blanchett in it.

    My neighbor who selects films for the Telluride Film Festival and thus watches movies all the time was blown away by it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Armed with a Winchester rifle, two Morrocan boys set out to look after their family's herd of goats. In the silent echoes of the desert, they decide to test the rifle...but the bullet goes farther than they thought it would. In an instant, the lives of four separate groups of strangers on three different continents collide."

    It sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. .

    Which one is that? I recognize the blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Benjamin Button" is very good, but I'm not sure if it's great or not. There are many good qualities to it, and I've been thinking about it ever since seeing it over a month ago, but I think I'll need a second viewing before I dare make a definitive conclusion.

    There are quite a few surface-level parallels to "Forrest Gump," the least of which is that they share the same screenwriter, Eric Roth. Some bloggers are convinced that "Button" is a thinly disguised remake of "Gump," and I can see why they would think so. I disagree somewhat, but if you weren't a fan of "Gump," you might want to temper your expectations considerably.

    "Doubt" is excellent, my #2 movie of the year. I'm very, very eager to see "The Class" and "Man on Wire." Lately I get far more satisfaction out of documentaries than movies. "The Class" is a docudrama, based on the autobiography of the man who plays the teacher in the film.

    ReplyDelete