2009-06-21

Svithing fathers, starting with myawesomeself

.

It's Fathers Day in America and this is America and I am a father so let's talk about me, shall we?

This week has been good for my ego. It seems like everyone want to compliment me? To excerpt from these compliments, here are some phrases suitable for placement under my name on a business card:

    stellar
    jack of the narrative trade
    one of the most interesting
    sharing [my] wisdom
    enjoyable, unpretentious and hard working
    That's meat and potatoes stuff. God bless it.
    ahead . . . but not too far ahead
    courteous
    doing a thmazing job
    good, moving
    thought provoking

If I seem a little full of myself lately, now you know why.

All these statements were speaking to my skill as a writer.

I believe that the raw capacity for working with words is part of my uncreated intelligence. But if I were to thus claim sole credit for my successes, removing God from my gratitude, would not be tenable. That would be like a poor kid in Potosí who's capable of becoming the world's finest surgeon failin to thank the philanthropist who saw him into a city with a decent high school and from there to Harvard. The kid would have been lucky to get a job choking on led dust, but instead he gets a consultant credit on House.

Me, I could not be who I am without the opportunity great God has given me to come to this earth and partake of human life and mortal opportunity. I'm only as good as the ultimate Father has provided me the chance to become. So what can I do in return? As King Benjamin said:

    I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another --- I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.

So paying God back is out of the question. All I can do is follow his simple requests. And be the best I can be.

Isn't that what every father wants for his children?

Thank you, Dad.

last week's svithe

1 comment: