2009-01-05

Getting into the swing of the (Mormon) awards thing

.

The Oscar noms are still a ways in our future, so I thought I would instead take a stab at the two major novel awards in LDS lit.

Last year, Coke Newell's novel Shocked The World by winning the best-novel award from both AML and the Whitneys (in its first year). I don't think we'll see that feat repeated, but if if does happen, the book to do it will be Angela Hallstrom's Bound on Earth (which I still need a copy of, folks). But, as I said, I don't think it'll sweep. I predict it will take the AML, but the Whitney will go to Abinadi by Heather Moore

Just like when I handicap movie races though, once again, I haven't read the frontrunners. Indeed, I can't even be sure these are the frontrunners, since there isn't exactly an In Conention for the AMLs and Whitneys.

That said, I won't get to vote for either award. But if either Ms Hallstrom or Ms Moore would like to prove that my faith in them is justified, they may send me a copy of their book. This is perfectly legal. My email address in in the left column of my blog. I can also be contacted here.

Gofightwin!

4 comments:

  1. I think _Bound on Earth_ is a shoe-in for the AML award. I haven't read it, but I have read the original set of stories it was based on. I also think there's a strong possibility of a repeat sweep. If anything _Bound on Earth_ crossed over to more "LDS lit" readers than _On the Road to Heaven_.

    But I agree that Abinadi is in contention for the Whitney and _Angel Falling Softly_ is a dark horse for the AML Award as is Doug Thayer's recently published novel (the latter more than the former).

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Of course, the AML sometimes gives honorable mentions and the Whitney releases nominees before choosing a winner, so I think the odds of all the books you mention getting cited at least once is high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never cease to be amazed at how connected and well read you are. How the heck do you know so much about so many things and how on God's green earth do I know so little when I used to think I knew so much?? That is all I have to say. I can't comment intelligently on this because I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT EXISTED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    Well. It's never to late to start.

    (Bringing attention to the awards is part of why I wrote this post in the first place.)

    ReplyDelete