2006-06-11

Svithe and svithe alike

.My close personal friend, Lao Tzu

Alma taught that
    the Lord doth grant unto all nations, of their own nation and tongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he seeth fit that they should have....
Alma, of course, meant that the Lord gives everybody all the truth they can handle. A jerk might go nyaa-nyaa and say he has all the truth and everyone else sucks. But, in fact, even we Mormons who claim to have "the fulness of the gospel," do not claim to have all the truth. See, while we believe all that God has revealed, we also believe all that He does now reveal--and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things.

Truth is like a Venn Diagram, except it includes one, great, all-encompassing, infinite circle, with little circles inside it. I believe that God gives different circles of truth to different individuals and groups all the time. Any group or individual that forgets they can learn from another will fail at many of life's most important pursuits. Without the humility to learn from others, we cannot love, we cannot grow, we cannot become. Whether that learning comes from a friend, a stranger, a rival, or God, we must be willing to admit we do not know; we must want to learn; we must listen and believe.

Yes, yes, yes, we must also be able to discern between truth and deception, but if we don't assume the possibility of truth, we will never find it. We must assume that true and false are both possible.

Being a good Mormon, this is the point where I show you where to get a free Book of Mormon. But most of my readership is Mormon already, and to you, my friends, I suggest listening. I'm going to work on developing the humility to listen, myself. I'ld like to learn some more stuff. And besides,

Lady Steed insists on it.



Further reading: 1 2 3 4 5




Last week's svithe

View a complete list of known svithers at The Weekly Svithe

1 comment:

  1. Simply - Amen!

    For me truth is most often found in finally noticing what I have been too distracted to see. Or maybe in realizing that no matter how hard I look, that specific truth just isn't there yet.

    Blah, blah, blah....should have just kept it simple.

    ReplyDelete