2005-10-14

Ignoring what I know

.

Here are some things I've learned about crafting popular blog entries in the last few months from observing and attempting.

1. Be funny and be short. Now, these two things are a continuum, by which I mean that the funnier the post, the longer it can be. The shorter the post, the less funny it needs to be.

2. Mention unimportant things that nevertheless really get under the skin. Such as dumb boys and ducks that insist your head is the perfect nest.

3. Don't be demanding. Unless you hit on something folks just can't leave alone, they are unlikely to follow suggested links or engage in deep thought. This is natural--they have a dozen other blogs to check.

4. End with a lie, a joke, an abrupt spot of violence or a burlesque raccoon.

8 comments:

  1. Ahh . . . So that's what I do wrong. I need a sense of humor. And brevity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brevity is overrated. But I completely agree with the burlesque raccoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of racoons (which I've decided I need to start saying more often), where is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have great difficulty with succinctness, as illustrated by, I don't know, everything I write. I really need to write about the possum I saw the other night. It wasn't a burlesque possum, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about this for a while now, totally agree, and am going to ignore every one of your tips in my post today. If you choose to avoid the post, I will not be offended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But if they are short posts, how am I supposed to pass the time at work? Maybe I will just give an abstract at the beginning for those who don't have the same amount of unoccupied time-space (speaking of continua) as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [burlesque raccoon]

    THE END

    [/burlesque raccoon]

    ReplyDelete