2006-04-18

Hitch & Mr and Mrs Smith

.

When I first realized that I would not be the blogger that kept the denizens of Tehachapi up on such things as the groundbreaking for Red Apple Road, I thought I might instead spend a lot of time reviewing movies watched, books read, ets cetered. That has never really happened. The closest I can remember coming was when I plugged Miyazaki. But tonight I am going to make good on that intention and discuss a real kick-in-the-pants flick Lady Steed and I watched last night: Mr and Mrs Smith.

To my shame and disgrace, I have actually seen very few screwball comedies and so it will not be fair of me to say this, but the Mr and Mrs are one of the best of the genre. We laughed, we gasped, we laughed, we enjoyed the repartee and we laughed. A lot.

Alfred Hitchcock directed Mr and Mrs Smith as a favor to Carole Lombard, whose house he was renting when he made the film. And Mr and Mrs Smith is nothing like a "Hitchcock film"--no dead bodies, for instance. Hitch's other great comedy, The Trouble with Harry (a hilarious film and one of my all-time favorites--immeasurably rewatchable), most certainly has a body. Who did you think Harry was?

Anyway, Mr and Mrs Smith:

I haven't seen last year's movie of the same title, but it was imaginable that it could be a remake--I can see Hitchcock making a movie about spouse spies who try to kill one another--but I was not disappointed to be wrong.

(Note: Minor spoilers follow that will give away the film's premise. To read, highlight text with your mouse.)

The Smiths have a deal with each other: part of that deal is never lying to one another. So when one morning, when she asks him if he would marry her all over again, given the chance, he says no. And few sane people could honestly mean yes on that particular morning, even with Carole Lombard's feet up your pants.

By a movie-worthy twist of fate, that morning a gentleman from a town in Nevada (not Idaho--this distinction is important) shows up with embarrassing news.

All these years, the town had thought they were in Idaho and were incorporated according to the laws of that state. Come to find out, they are actually in Nevada. All marriage licenses issued by city hall are thus invalid. Ergo, the Smiths have been living in sin.

Thus follows some wonderfully funny and racy amusements. You like your dramatic irony straight up? This is the movie for you. David Thomson says that the greatest special effect in movie history has always been the camera steady on a human face as it changes its mind. He's probably right. And these two leads have faces that are one charming special effect after another.


If you watch it, and of course you are actively seeking it out now in a second browser window, do us a favor. The best friend looks like Dustin Hoffman, this we know. But we couldn't figure out what current actor Robert Montgomery looks like. If you solve that mystery, let us know.

And my advice: Try to have someone nearby to kiss when the movie ends and the skis cross. You'll be glad if you do. Trust me.

Some of our most exquisite murders have been domestic, performed with tenderness in simple, homey places like the kitchen table.

5 comments:

  1. I think that upon your recommendation, I will rent this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    ......beware the viper......

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    ......beware the viper......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally unrelated to this topic:

    I just read on FoxyJ's that you guys are coming next. So is this your final answer?? Is it for sure? If so do you know your travel plans yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alfred version sounds fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent Pitt/Joley version, even though it was the first Joley movie I didn't fall asleep through or walk out of because of sheer boredom alone (I NEVER walk out of movies, and I Most Definitely Never fall asleep through one, cinema or not).

    Maybe it was the glorious event of Brad Pitt kicking her trash, and then her dishing it right back out. The hilarity of comedic violence between the two was well done.

    ReplyDelete