2005-12-06

Clams for Christmas

.

Lady Steed serves in our church's organization for young women and this Sunday the adult leaders are each going to tell a spiritual Christmas story and then give the girls an ornament signifier of the story.

She came to me for thoughts and the only story I could think of was this one on clam chowder that I had just read.

So I suggested it and then set to thinking of potential ornaments.

No doubt my thinking was influenced by a certain musical insect because it was not long before I hit on the idea of Carlos the Christmas Clam.

A happy little bivalve, Carlos gets to wear the coolest hat of any holiday mascot--it's like a Santa hat but it has the brim of a sombrero.

Anyway, Lady Steed ixnayed the idea. I haven't a clue why. I keep promoting it but she remains firm.

I encourage you all to comment and tell her that her mollusk envy is misguided and that a) I am merely trying to help and b) Carlos the Christmas Clam is going to be way more memorable than a heartwarming snowflake, candycane or orangutan.

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for Carlos the Christmas Clam. I don't understand Lady Steed's aversion to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    I was just checking my stats and noticed a German visitor.

    Nice to see you.

    And Edgy--

    Thanks for the moral support m'man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all due respect to Lady Steed, I must say that Carlos the Christmas Clam is the best thing that has ever happened to Christmas. Think mass production, my friend. Soon you will be able to retire and write all you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The children were snuggled in their beds, clutching their Christmas clams..."

    Somehow, I can't see it as a Disney special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't see it as a Disney special? This screams Disney. I mean, think about it, womanizing candelabras? I for one would feel much more secure if my children cuddled with Christmas clams than if they emulated womanizing candelabras.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But does Carlos have an accent? That's the important thing to determine. Because if it's French, it's cool. If it's Asian or Hispanic (and his name indicates it might be the latter), it's racist.

    Other than the racist aspect, I love Carlos, and I actually like that story, too. It's a heck of a lot better than that "Santa kneeling at the manger" crap they usually tell.

    And why not introduce some paganism into the mix? Let us not forget that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday, and that's why we celebrate it in December--so we could feel okay about the druids conducting their rituals at the same time. How 'bout the timeless story of Ranulf the Stonehenge Guard, accompanied by a little tiny altar covered with human blood? I bet that would get a point across.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    I love that idea, daltongirl!

    But as for Carlos, he's not racist, he's multicutural, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete