2008-11-12

the 20th of 2008
or
the 100 books of 2008

.

Roasemar's Baby 100) Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin, finished November 10
    Okay. if you already knows what happens, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. I can see how the book would probably be effective if read from a position of ignorance, but already knowing how it pans out really ruins it. All the mechanics of the text are laid plain and, like seeing behind the curtain, ruins the effect.

    Now, I probably knew too much going into it anyway, but Stephen King's introduction gave even MORE away. This is rather ironic since, also in her introduction, he abuses "that awful, dreadful goblin of a reader, he or she WHO TURNS TO THE LAST THREE PAGES TO SEE HOW IT CAME OUT." Then he immediately gives away an important moment from the book's final scene. Nimrod.

    I would like to read a Levin book that I know nothing about and see what that experience is like. But I think I've just scratched Stepford Wives off my list.

    about four weeks



099) Batman and Son by Grant Morrison et al, finished November 9
    I like Mr Morrison's work but I didn't understand this book at all. It made no sense. None. Whatsoever. Everytime it started making sense, it was quick to take eleven steps backward. And the art in the Special Joker Insert was crazy ugly.

    Um.

    I don't have a lot else to say. I didn't dislike it at first, but this book wasn't happy with that good first impression and just kept spitting at me until I just couldn't like it any more. And that's very sad. Because I am predisposed to like Batman stories.

    Gee whiz, Grant Morrison.

    One thing I found fascinating though was that prose Joker story? It read like a Neil Gaiman illustrated story. Same sort of tone, same sort of overreliance on pronouns. Exact same sort of prose. Fascinating.

    This Joker is Uuuuugly

    five days



98) The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, finished November 7
    Always a joy, Mr Wilde. It was nice to share you with students.

    four daysish



Kate Spencer 097) Manhunter Vol. 1: Street Justice by Marc Andreyko et al, finished November 4
    After a four year hiatus, I am back to borrowing comic books from Mr Fob. And although I liked this one okay, I realized (rerealized?) what it is I dislike so much about "normal" serialized comics. By being constrained to a very specific length, the storytelling tends to suffer. And then the collection ends at a spot that makes the whole book feel like a prologue. What's up with that?

    The thing is, there's nothing I dislike about this book. It's really just elements of its form that get under my skin.

    That said, I'll probably borrow further volumes from the Fobster (if he'll let me after this review). I just wish we could leave the Dickens Method behind. You know: for me, personally.

    three days



096) Addicted to War: Why the U.S. Can't Kick Militarism by Joel Andreas, finished November 4
    So of course you would expect a book like this to be didactic and minimize the other side's arguments. What you might not expect is how ugly it is. All of it! Not just Kissinger and Dubya, but the innocent children and outraged mothers as well! Not good. But I honestly don't believe that Andreas has it in him to draw a pleasant looking human being.

    I do kind of like his skeleton's though.

    But you really need a visual contrast between the good guys and the bad guys for a comic like this to meet its full potential.

    Addicted to War

    some months, not really sure how many


Previously:

5 comments:

  1. You listed Animal Farm twice. Did you read it twice? And, what, no BoM or Joseph Smith manual? *wink* I set a goal this year to read one book a week and was patting myself on the back for having finished over sixty. Your 100 totally whoops me. Now I feel like an underachiever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Alas, I did read it twice. I don't even really like it.

    I expect to finish the BofM this year, but I'm not even supposed to finish ole Joe till December 2009. But I'm so hopelessly behind, that's not likely to happen. Being in Primary can do that to a man.

    If you look closer, you'll see I've read quite a few comics this year. That makes 100 rather easier. So don't feel too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Alas, I did read it twice. I don't even really like it.

    I expect to finish the BofM this year, but I'm not even supposed to finish ole Joe till December 2009. But I'm so hopelessly behind, that's not likely to happen. Being in Primary can do that to a man.

    If you look closer, you'll see I've read quite a few comics this year. That makes 100 rather easier. So don't feel too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive. I'm an avid reader but it takes me a little longer than a week to read a book of my choosing. I hadn't thought to include a review of recent books I've read on my blog.

    I might have to do this sometime, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    I'm so glad I do. All the books before January 2007 are much more ephemeral than those since.

    ReplyDelete