2008-01-29

Check, check, check, check, check, check, check
(81-100)
Also, a New Year's Resolution

.

So it's been a long time since I was doing this series and it is definitely time I finish it. If you're interested, here are the other movies of AFI's new top 100 list:

81. "Spartacus," 1960.
    I don't need to see this movie to know that I am Spartacus. Though Pepsi certainly has helped with my educations:



82. "Sunrise," 1927.
    Oh! Sunrise! I will never be fully hip till I have seen this movie. And neither will you. Loser.


83. "Titanic," 1997.
    I still haven't seen this. And, frankly, Kate Winslet's breasts not being the draw they once were, I'm not sure I ever will.


84. "Easy Rider," 1969.
    I just heard an interview with Peter Fonda on Fresh Air about this movie. I still have no idea what it's about. If I knew more about it than they ride motorcycles, then maybe I could get more excited. I wonder if the first three minutes would help . . . ?



    Nope.


85. "A Night at the Opera," 1935.♥
    Our copy. Which I've still to watch.

    I mean: it's their greatest hit!

    Check out these jokes!



86. "Platoon," 1986.
    Oh jeez. I wasn't even born till 1976 and I'm still tired of Vietnam. I'll see Apocalypse Now someday, but beyond that, I make no promises.


87. "12 Angry Men," 1957.♥♥
    Only the best movie ever. And as restricted a Greek tragedy.

    Okay, okay. Maybe not the best movie ever. But still....


88. "Bringing Up Baby," 1938.♥♥♥

89. "The Sixth Sense," 1999.♥♥♥
    The first time I saw it? Scared the crap out of me.

    The second time I saw it? A beautiful story of married love.

    The third time I saw it? A moving tale of a boy and his mother.

    Every time I've seen it? Excellent.


90. "Swing Time," 1936.
    What? This is a real movie?


91. "Sophie's Choice," 1982.
    Although I've heard marvelous things about Meryl's accent, I always think of this as That Overacted Abortion Movie. Which description really doesn't have that many selling points in it. I think I'd rather hit the abortion genre in Romania.


92. "Goodfellas," 1990.
    Sorry, 'fellas. I've nothing against mob movies, but I really need to watch the Godfather trilogy first. I'm sure you understand.


93. "The French Connection," 1971.
    Finally. A top-100 film that's all about cops shooting people.


94. "Pulp Fiction," 1994.♥
    I've seen this movie not from the beginning or not till the end several times on the tele and it hasn't won me over. Plus, the excerpt of dialogue I read in the New Yorker when the film first came out was utterly unintelligible. I couldn't find the content amidst the swarms of ficklings. So there's that too.


95. "The Last Picture Show," 1971.

96. "Do the Right Thing," 1989.
    Because seeing this Spike Lee joint is the right thing.

    What I'm feeling right now?

    That's white guilt.


97. "Blade Runner," 1982.♥

98. "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.
    Instead of grapefruiting people . . .



    he's singing and dancing!



    So much nicer.


99. "Toy Story," 1995.♥♥♥
    No, it's not their best. Yes, it's on here to represent all Pixar films. Yes, it's still awesome. Yes, Mr. Lasseter, I am available to start work this summer. Thank you for asking.


100. "Ben-Hur," 1959.♥?
    Have I seen it?
    I don't know.
    "Cause the Bible tells me so.

    Wait----


Anyway, that's the best 100 American movies according the the AFI's current whims.

What I need to do this year is actually watch some more of them.

So my goal this year is to watch all the movies on the list I own but have not yet seen, viz.

And on! To 2008!

(if you want to come watch one with us, let me know)

11 comments:

  1. Get one without the stupid voice over by Harrison Ford. It ruined the movie. (Blade Runner.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing up Baby -- let me know when you watch that one. I just might drop by and bring the popcorn. It's one of my all-time favorites, especially the scene where they rip each other's clothing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sunrise is actually really good. super melodramatic, but good.

    and i guess that makes me fully hip. or hipper than you, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know they're releasing Toy Story in 3D in 2009, in preparation for Toy Story 3 in 2010?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it sad that every time I see The Sixth Sense mentioned on lists like this, I think of Fifty First Dates and the many times Drew Barrymore is exclaiming she can't believe he's dead . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For one of my critical theory classes, I wrote a paper on how, according to one theory that I can't even remember now, Twelve Angry Men, was the most perfect piece of drama ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    A--I think I have seen that one, but it really didn't do much for me. Maybe I suck and would like the studio version?

    S--Let me know when you'll be in the Bay Area. We'll break it out of its plastic.

    L--At least hipper than me.

    F--Did you know my neighbor is an editor on TS3? Yeah. I'm networking.

    C--I would have really loved that movie too were it not for freaking Rob Schneider. That guy sucks.

    E--So I was right after all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched a two hour documentary about Easy Rider, and the only thing I remember about it was that it was the first blockbuster movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. .

    One thing worth noting about that movie: they rode motorcycles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! WOAH! Hold on there, Th! You can't go changing the universe on me NOW! I thought Vertigo was the indisputably best ever; what's with this 12 Angry Men stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  11. .

    It is the best ever. That's why I backpedaled.

    ReplyDelete