2007-08-06

Check, check, check (41-60)

.

41. "King Kong," 1933.
    I was surprised when I saw Peter Jackson's version to realize that I didn't know big chunks of the story and, therefore, must never have actually seen the original film. This was appalling, and so earlier this year I fixed that--and in the best fashion: sitting in front of a big screen. And although Jackson's take appeals more to my modern tastes, I liked the '33 version too. And, for the record, Fay Wray is gorgeous and those dresses should be illegal.


42. "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.
    I want to see this--I like it when married couples going around killing people. It's totally my thing.


43. "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.
    I know, I know:
      Dustin Hoffman

      Jon Voigt

      only X-rated movie to win best picture
    So why haven't I seen it?

    I guess I just can't get over the fact that Dustin Hoffman's character is named after a Muppet.


44. "The Philadelphia Story," 1940.
    Jimmy Stewart. Cary Grant. Kate Hepburn. This movie should be awesome, but when we watched our copy, I was pretty underwhelmed. I wanted funnier. And, well, the circumstances in which we watched it weren't ideal.

    So the next time we see it, I'll know better what to expect and I'll get more out of it.

    Lady Steed saw it as a play with Miss Nemesis and they thought it was hilarious.

    I look forward to that.


45. "Shane," 1953.
    I have never seen any Alan Ladd movie. Not even Shane.

    Man, I suck.


46. "It Happened One Night," 1934.
    Classic Capra screwball and although it's a nice flick (and allegedly killed the undershirt industry), it's by no means the greatest of the screwballs. I've never been quite sure why it always shows up so high on these lists. I mean--it's a good movie, but #46 of all time? I like Tad Hamilton better!


47. "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.
    This is another movie with a great reputation that all anyone can tell me about it is that Marlon Brando is hot and sweaty in it.

    Stella, indeed.


48. "Rear Window," 1954.
    It's a shame we only have this movie on VHS, because even though it's not one of my top Hitchcock faves, I like talking about this one a lot. For instance, those of you who've seen this movie--I bet you think Raymond Burr killed his wife, don't you? Well, I say he didn't. Think I'm wrong? Prove it.


49. "Intolerance," 1916.
    This wasn't on the list ten years ago, and I know nothing about this movie.

    I feel . . . . . . . . ignorant.

    And I don't like it.


50. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," 2001.
    Okay, I love this movie, but it's my Snow White complaint all over again: the first movie of a set is voted onto this list not necessarily because it is the best of the set, but because it is the first of the set. Drives me nuts.

    Anyway, seen it several times, loved it each, own the theatrical release and so should you.

    Unless you own the extended edition. Because that's awesome too. And the special features are the best. I love them. I would marry them, except....

    (Just kidding!)


51. "West Side Story," 1961.
    I've never seen this and I thought I would find it annoying, but I listened to the overture on a classical station once and loved it. So I guess I shouldn't think that anymore.


52. "Taxi Driver," 1976.
    Child prostitution is awesome, of course, so I guess I'll have to check this out someday. In the meantime, I'll remember Jodie Foster in this and this, instead, thank you very much.


53. "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
    Oh boy. Another sad Vietnam movie. Sign me up.


54. "M*A*S*H," 1970.
    I do want to see this one.

    It's the Korean War.

    It's totally different.


55. "North by Northwest," 1959.
    Probably Hitch's straightest action flick and a fun ride. But again, probably not as good as people make it out to be. Wonderful to watch, but he made better.

    Not with Cary Grant though.


56. "Jaws," 1975.
    Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I just read something Hitchcock said after seeing this film ("He['young Spielberg']'s the first one of us who doesn't see the proscenium arch.") that totally makes me ready to leave my fears behind and check it out again.


57. "Rocky," 1976.
    Nuther boxing movie.

    Nuff said.


58. "The Gold Rush," 1925.
    I've only seen parts of this one, but those parts were good.

    Go, Charlie!


59. "Nashville," 1975.
    I don't know much about this particular Altman film. Unless I learn something really fantastic all of a sudden, M*A*S*H and A Prairie Home Companion will remain well in front of it on my to-see list.


60. "Duck Soup," 1933.
    Man, the Marx Brothers are AWESOME. And if you're looking for a place to start, this is as good as any. Or, you can just do what I did and get this and this and never look back.


the Marx Brothers

4 comments:

  1. Wow--I've hardly seen any of these; only 45, 48, 50, 51, 55 and 56. Most of the other ones I don't have a great desire to see. After I told my dad that I enjoyed The Gradute he tried to convince me to see Midnight Cowboy because he says it's an excellent movie. I'm just a little squeamish about the X rating though. I've never seen an X-rated movie, even one from the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw "A Prairie Home Companion" and weren't totally impressed. The history surrounding it is obviously fantastic, it was humorous, but the story (a.k.a. the angel - you'll know what I mean) left something to be desired. See what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't bother with midnight cowboy. Yes, interesting. But horribly depressing, and not in a yes-but-I-just-watched-the-greatest-movie-ever-so-its-ok kind of depressing. Not worth watching an R rated movie. I have (sorry) seen my share of R rated movies, and this is one I should not have bothered with. Blegh.

    ReplyDelete