2006-01-13

So is this blog a good or a bad thing?

.

I have a post I've been meaning to write a long, long time, and Edgy's "Okaaaaaaay . . ." comment seems to suggest that time has come.

For better or for worse, this blog has nearly entirely replaced my notebook-filling. It may be better because this way throwaway comments get immediate feedback and I can determine just how much they suck. It may be worse because practically all I write are throwaways--haven't finished any novels since Thmusings (née Tehachapiltdownman) started up. And worse than that, since these throwaways have been published online, I would feel a little plagiaristic if I later incorporated them into a book. The wonderful thing about notebooks is that ten years later, a little idea on a scrap of paper can become a witty thing just said by David Them. On a blog, it's something I've already shared and don't I have enough creativity to come up with something new?

Of course, even Charles Schulz and Shakespeare copied themselves. But I am better than Charles Schulz and Shakespeare.

(Aside: Since my blog does not go through forty-seven rewrites, severe thediting, or cruel fobberation before being published, it is also creating a sense of "Theric as Hack"--most of the world outside the reach of my former employer only knows my blogwork, and it is second rate indeed. So a question: is any exposure good exposure or would I be better off not blogging until after paper-publishing, thus retaining fans of my "good" work without polluting minds with poor writing? After all, I'm not sure anyone wants a book of Thmusings, and if they think this is all I write, why would they buy any book o' mine?)

Anyway, back to my first whine issue, most of the writing I do now is here, on Thmusings. And of course, it is good to write always and not faint, but am I spilling my seed on the ground, so to speak?

It's a hard question.

Perhaps I will return to it sometime....

8 comments:

  1. Wow. You sound so tormented. That's hip.

    I wish I had some pithy advice. I can only say that I would read your book, even if it contained "reruns" from your blog. And yes, you're better than Charles Schulz. Still debating the Shakespeare question.

    Also, both of your links in this post contained propaganda regarding deviant sexual behavior. That may be something you'd want to explore prior to signing a contract with a publisher, as it could influence their expectations of the type of book you'd write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But they're both such interesting links.

    Edgy would feel absolutley terrible if Th. were to disappear, especially if said decision had some catalyst such as a comment by Edgy. Edgy will sit and watch quietly now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pondering much the same thing, though with not quite so... explicit... imagery. If I come up with something to say that you haven't already, I'll blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good questions. I rather enjoy your blog and hope it doesn't come to an end (thanks alot edgy!)

    Maybe, change the course of your blog? Maybe make it more personal and Journal-y while still flexing your writing muscle. For instance- THIS remains one of my favorite entries...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You freakin' stole my post idea!

    That's okay, though...you said it a lot better than I could have had. Though I was going to entitle it Literary Masturbation (?), which would have alienated about twelve of the people who read my blog, thus giving me the feeling that I'm on the cutting egde.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if you go back to early entries and check if you have more comments, but I hope you do because I want to comment and I want you to read it, so I hope you do.

    This is my comment. I would read, nay, BUY a copy of Thmusings. I miss th comments and observations.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    Queenie---I get them in my email then search them out. So yes.

    ReplyDelete