2008-08-18

Nemesis, married off

.

So Nemesis is married now, and she only had to listen to her father make 84 it's-about-time jokes at the luncheon before she and her new husband could escape to the south of France.

The bride was lovely, the food was delicious, et cetera. Very nice.

And I learned once and for all how people who knew me 1997-1999 will always remember me: as the guy who had long fingernails.

When Nem introduced me to her mother, she said, "You remember, he's the one who had the long fingernails?"

See, I was proud of those long fingernails---they were proof that I had finally kicked my biting and picking habits; they were trophies of self-improvement.

The first thing Lady Steed "improved" about me was shortening my fingernails. But do people say, "Curse that woman! She put him back on his disgusting habits!"? No. They say, "Thank you for getting him to cut his nails!" (Note: they ain't "cut," folks.)

Anyway, I'm not sure what changes Nemesis will work in her fresh husband, but I'm sure they'll be equally delightful.

I'm not posting pictures (you'll have to visit Nem's blog or my own dear wife's for those), but I will make the following blogger's dozen observations:

    01. I don't think the husband-to-be recognized me when we bumped into each other in the temple's dressing room. Hey! It was me!

    02. Nemesis did an extraordinary job circulating the crowd and making all her visitors feel well taken care of. Nice job, Nem.

    03. Going with the flowers in the hair (rather than a veil) was an excellent choice.

    04. Liked the red shoes motif, too.

    05. Once Spitfire got her hair curled, Nem and her sisters (and their mother) look astonishingly alike.

    06. The cucumber things were brilliant, and that was the best chicken cordon bleu I've ever had. Raspberry sauce! Brilliant!

    07. We (I) took a mostly empty bag of Doritos from the BBQ. They saved me from perishing in the airport on Sunday. (Thanks.)

    08. L****'s downtown is a swell place to wander about. Great signage, great weather (summer only), cool old buildings, gushing torrents of waters running down the streets....

    09. Great to meet Singin' in the Rain and her fam, though distressing to learn by their example that the Large S could have a younger sibling by now. (!) (It also occurred to me that, when a person has an astonishingly low tolerance to spicy foods, marrying a Korean is a rather peculiar eternal choice.)

    10. I'm worried I somehow irritated Cicada's husband and now he won't let Cicada comment on my blog anymore. If she doesn't on this post, we'll know I'm right.

    11. The chocolate cake was muy delicious, but, considering the geography, I'm appalled at the merely good raspberry. It should have been the best raspberry of my life! What gives?

    12. I found it bewildering how Nemesis was the same person I've always known. For some reason, it seemed like she should be All New! or something, but she was still herself.

    13. Beautiful too. When I met her, let's see, she was still a teenager. (Holy smokes.) But the only change I see in her is that she's an adult now. In other words, she looks the best she ever has. But I'm sure her husband's been telling her that all weekend.

    14. Although she does now have a moderately hilarious last name. (So it goes.)

5 comments:

  1. The first thing Lady Steed "improved" about me was shortening my fingernails. But do people say, "Curse that woman! She put him back on his disgusting habits!"? No. They say, "Thank you for getting him to cut his nails!" (Note: they ain't "cut," folks.)

    Hahaha. Yeah, I think I'd need to have about twenty fingernail clippers scattered throughout the house and cars before I started using them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOOOO jealous of you all going to the wedding. So very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    [Edit: now that ls's nemwed post is up, I adjusted the lsward link to that post specifically]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, I know I'm late to the party, but thanks for the kind words. I was so glad you could come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    Oh, anytime.

    Not that I'm suggesting you should remarry frequently.

    ReplyDelete