2006-05-05

In keeping with recent tradition, I could have died this morning

.

Of course, life is always fraught with peril and every morning could prove lethal, but mortality breathed in my face with particularly rank breath this morning.

My commute takes me through the empty desert. Empty save for joshua trees and the occasional stoplight.

I was at such a stoplight not an hour ago, sitting, waiting my turn. Behind the stop line, I am happy to say.

The precise moment the light turned green, I jumped at the horn of a big truck--the dump truck two cars behind me, I assumed. The jump lifted my foot from the brake and I inched past the stop line as a cement truck screamed through the intersection in front of me.

Had I proceeded into the intersection with more vigor, had I been watching the light more closely, had I taken that horn to mean Go Now!, had anything led me into that intersection a second sooner, me and my little car would both be dead right now. Police and paramedics would be on the scene at M & 50th, scraping me up, making measurements, arranging new homes for my organs, and that would be that.

-

You know, I've never been a big fan of driving, but I am really ready to go back to a job I can walk to.

6 comments:

  1. Maybe you should be an author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such luck you've been having with driving lately.



    Just don't send it my way. I've got a four hour drive ahead of me as soon as I get some gas in my car.

    Which might not be for another week, but you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh!!! I think we need to go and take out a big life insurance policy on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walkable neighborhoods, it's the way of the future. Well, they should be the way of the future, but, unfortunately, suburbia stripmalls and longer traffic-jams are more probably the way of future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you still with us, Th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    And, God willing, I'll be here tomorrow too.

    Let us pray.

    ReplyDelete