2009-07-28

Comic Con, homeless style

.

I'll post a few more things about Comic Con here and at Fob Comics (and maybe even AMV if my idea holds up to scrutiny), but first, since it seems to be what everyone is asking me about, this: Being Homeless in San Diego.

Is quite nice, actually. It's, mm, maybe 75° even at four in the morning. And the only people walking by are perfectly pleasant.

Here's what happened: I shacked up in a crowded hotel room with a topnotch group of guys. The hotel room was twice what I expected, but split among nine people, really not that expensive. But still: No way I was paying for a hotel on my own. And everyone else left a day before me. So what to do?

Obviously: Sleep on the street.

Curiously, everyone else thought this was a crazy idea, from Lady Steed to those who were leaving me behind. But what was crazy about it? I'd been out and about as late as two in the morning. The part of San Diego we were staying in seemed safe as pie. Why not?

One thing I wondered about was why, in a city peopled with plenty of homeless, did I see so few in this part of town. And so I worried that I would see plenty of patrolling policemen. But I didn't. So I'm left wondering why the homeless vacate the part of town where I hung out all night. Especially when their constant presence just a few blocks away made those streets reek of piss in the early morning hours.

My plan for avoiding trouble was this:

    Sit somewhere out of sight, but not in a manner that makes it seem I am hiding.

That was it.

That and, as current events show is helpful, be white. A pleasant looking white boy such as myself, let's face it, is much more likely to get away with one night of homelessness on the steps of the court.

From Google Maps (corner of State and F, if you're interested):

San Diego
San Diego

I spent several hours here, mostly writing in my skethcbooks, but also reading a couple Theodore Sturgeon stories. While here, I saw, maybe, six people walk buy, all well-to-do folk on their way to or from restaurants. Also, I watched a security guy part his truck and head in to the government building across the street.

I was going to sleep here, completely out of sight and under a low palm, but it smelled like cat pee and, as I came to realize, was loaded with cockroaches

I spent the bulk of the night here, doing some more writing, mostly. Saw a handful of people walk past. Saw one of SD's bike taxi's showing some old people the sights.

This is where I slept from a little after two till a little after five, on this bit of elevated concrete.

All these spots (save the roachy one) were well lit, making it easy to keep myself busy with words. The few people who saw me, weren't bothered by me. And the building itself was lovely.

Overall, for a three-hours-sleep night, it was quite a pleasant night. It did get cold for maybe half an hour around 10, but otherwise, balmy and kind.

Love you, San Diego!

9 comments:

  1. Very cool. I would assume it also helps to be male.

    Was ComicCon fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure!

    Even more than being white, it helps that you didn't try to break into a home. And that you didn't insult any police officers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! You should ask Ken about his nights homeless in New York City...slept in Central park one night. This was right before we started dating, too, so he was old enough to have known better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luisa read my mind regarding the advantages of being male, but great story all the same. A little disappointed to hear nobody tried to buy/sell any products/services to/from you in the process, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    What could someone possibly hope to buy from me? They might try and sell me a razor though....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I must agree with the lady. Crazy idea. Glad you didn't die or get stolen or something :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    [Edit: added 'Comic Con' tag.]

    ReplyDelete