2007-07-16

Seven Years Hitched

.

Did you happen to catch Sesame Street this morning? Maria and Luis were trying to celebrate their anniversary in the park with a quiet picnic, but they kept getting interrupted by people singing about laughing or staging impromptu game shows or hulaing. Yeah.

Saturday was our seventh anniversary and Lady Steed spent it sick in bed. Not that it mattered--it started with my parents in town and included the Big O and I gone much of the day on vital errands. Et cetera.

By the time Lady Steed was finally cognizant and not fully baby-involved, it was time to go to bed to collapse in sleep. We still haven't, you know, exchanged gifts or sly glances or anything of the sort.

Last year's anniversary?

We moved.

When we first were married, I could foresee no excuse not to make each anniversary an occasion. So far, not so good.

But inconveniences and practicalities obscure the greater point: that we are married and love each other and are going strong.

Lady Steed is woven into my person like gold on a blue ribbon and I need her.
Lady Steed defines my being like sun falling on newly sprouted clover and I love her.

It sucks--it really really sucks--that we couldn't go to, oh, Prague on Saturday, but we are together and one and we love each other.

I love you, love.

And with luck I'll be home by seven.

Maybe we can, I don't know, sit on the porch and share a peach or something. That would be nice.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe next year you could run with the bulls! What could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats on the 7 years! It's crazy to think that the first time I visited the Bras(s) house was the weekend you had your Tehachapi reception.

    I totally understand the whole "moving on your anniversary" thing. We've done it twice now. Not the most romantic ways to spend it, but hey, at least you have a place to call home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just celebrated EIGHT and our only "Lets-go-and-do-something-really-special" anniversary was number five, celebrated in San Antonio. Still, romance was out of the question as the morning, afternoon and night sickness of my third pregnancy seemed to be the main topic of conversation.

    Romance is nice, but if marriage cheerfully survives all the non-romantic days too (most of them), then you have a recipe for success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I can't believe that you've been married for seven years! Time really flies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!

    I am wiping away a tear! That is SO BEAUTIFUL!

    Oh that one day my husband will say such things to me.

    ReplyDelete