2009-03-26

4th5-2009

Love That Dog.

020) Love That Dog by Sharon Creech, finished March 18
    This book is a short, brief read. Won't take you past an afternoon. It's the tale of Jack who, at first, refuses to right poetry (it's for girls) who becomes pretty decent. I just learned that Creech release a sequel last year, so I'm excited to go check that out.

    three months



019) Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block, finished March 17
    This short little novella caught me off guard. I picked it up because it was small and would fit in a small spot I wanted to keep a book in. I did not expect to really get into it. I certainly did not expect to love it. But I did and I do.

    I don't think I've ever had such a revelatory experience with a book. Reading this book was like cutting the Gordian Knot. Reading this book means I am already pages into a book of my own that's been on the shelf for years now.

    Weetzie Bat is easy to dismiss as frivolous (or even immoral), but it is lovely and charming and utterly, to me, inspiring.

    You will likely hear me mention this book again.

    a couple weeks



018) The Proviso by Moriah Jovan, finished March 16


017) An Ensign to the Nations: History of the Oakland State by Evelyn Candland, finished March 7
    This book is great. Every stake should have a history written about it. I learned a lot about the history of the Church in my area and I now feel actually a part of the stake community of the stake in which I now live. I know how the Oakland stake convinced the French government that Mormon missionaries are not spies. I learned about a popular radio broadcast we once gave. I learned about the stake president who died less than a year after being called. I learned that the Interstake Center used to be red brick. And the passion and inspiration that allowed the Oakland Temple to be built.

    Oakland Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
    Every stake should have a book like this.

    four months or maybe more



016) Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley, finished February 27
    I bought this in high school and loved it.

    Then didn't touch it for fifteen or so years.

    And now? Later?

    Still a good book. Some of the writing is a bit clunky, but from what I know, that's probably at least partially to blame on Percy who rewrote parts of it and made it more convoluted.

    And get this: she was 19 when she wrote this book. Nineteen!

    This book makes me feel like an old man.....

    about three weeks



Previously:

015) Batman: The Black Glove by Grant Morrison and Tony Daniel and J.H. Williams III, finished February 23
014) The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story by Richard Preston, finished February 22
013) Lex Luthor: Man of Steel by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo, finished February 19
012) Blue Beetle: Shellshocked by Keith Giffen and Cully Hammer, finished February 18
011) The Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo, finished February 17
010) Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, finished February 18
009) Superman: Red Son by MJR&M, finished February 11
008) The Best American Comics 2008 edited by Lynda Barry, finished February 9
007) The Blot by Tom Neely, finished February 6
006) JSA: Darkness Falls by Goyer, Johns, et al, finished January 28
005) The Road by Cormac McCarthy, finished January 24
004) Poor Sailor by Sammy Harkham, finished January 19
003) The Waitress was New by Dominique Fabre and translated by Jordan Stump, finished January 19
002) Stagger Lee by Derek McCulloch and Shepherd Hendrix, finished January 12?
001) The Arrival by Shaun Tan, finished January 8

5 comments:

  1. I loved Weetzie Bat too. As I recall, the sequels are not bad either, but I make no promises. Is the book it's inspired you to return to the one in which a bunch of guys watch football together in bed? (That's all I remember of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read "Love That Dog" without tearing up. Such an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Fob: No. I don't think I'll ever get back to that one. I think the moment has passed.

    Actually, it's Curses & Llew.

    Ggg: Then I guess you should try Hate that Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also pleasantly surprised by Weetzie Bat--and by Frankenstein. I still need to try Love that Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    It won't take you that long.

    ReplyDelete