2007-11-14

Midweek Makeup Svithe #2: Take this to the bank. The spiritual bank. And buy a savings bond for a friend. A spiritual savings bond.

.

I just finished reading the book all we Mormon adults are supposed to be reading this year. Kind of a famous first for me, although I always have good intentions.

Anyway, the title of the final chapter is "Sharing the Gospel" and he made a couple points which I thought particularly sound.

Given that he doesn't have a blog of his own and would undoubtedly like to have this message spread, I offered to let him make use of my humble forum for the afternoon.

    President KimballNow, we are a busy people; but the Lord did not say, “If it is convenient for you, would you consider preaching the gospel.” He has said, “Let every man learn his duty” (D&C 107:99) and “Behold … it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor.” (D&C 88:81.)

    What a thrilling thing it is, my dear brothers and sisters who are fellow members of the kingdom of God, to be entrusted by the Lord to serve as messengers of His word to our brothers and sisters who are not members of the Church. Let us assume for a moment that the roles were reversed—that you were not a member of the Church but that your present nonmember neighbor was a Latter-day Saint. Would you want him or her to share the gospel with you? Would you then rejoice in the new truths you had learned? Would your love and respect increase for your neighbor who had shared these truths with you? Of course, the answer to all of these questions would be: Yes!

    It should be clear to us that usually we must warm our neighbors before we can warn them properly. Our neighbors must experience our genuine friendship and fellowship. We want members to entreat neighbors, not to scold them or scare them.

    I feel the Lord has placed, in a very natural way within our circles of friends and acquaintances, many persons who are ready to enter into his Church. We ask that you prayerfully identify those persons and then ask the Lord’s assistance in helping you introduce them to the gospel.

    Don’t wait for long fellowshipping nor for the precise, perfect moment. What you need to do is find out if they are the elect. “[My] elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts.” (D&C 29:7.) If they hear and have hearts open to the gospel, it will be evident immediately. If they won’t listen and their hearts are hardened with skepticism or negative comments, they are not ready. In this case, keep loving them and fellowshipping them and wait for the next opportunity to find out if they are ready. You will not lose their friendship. They will still respect you.
Spence's Sig

Thank you, president. Now back to our regularly scheduled banality.



previous svithe
previous midweek makeup svithe


Preseason Oscar Game

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Banality. Good word.

    Yeah, I fully intend to make next year MY famous first. I mean, the book'll be my dear friend Brother Joseph; how can I NOT read it?

    Exciting.

    (My deleted comment said the same thing, but I didn't like the way the title of the post covered my pretty face)

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    (Sorry for writing such a long title.)

    ReplyDelete