2007-03-22

To your left (volume one)

.

I'm starting a series of posts on the bloggers I am currently linked to. We'll pick up at the top and work our way down. So. Without further ado.


Myke's Toad Spit Chronicles
    I met Myke in August 1990 shortly after moving to Tehachapi. He came up to me at church and asked if I liked football. I said not really. He said me neither. And so it began. Myke is referenced in the current version of my Official (so-called) Bio--and for good reason. He was one of the people I founded Antemoff Software with. Never heard of Antemoff? You're not alone, but that does not change the fact that the hundreds--perhaps thousands--of pages we cranked out developing stories for games preventing my creative life from stagnating during some pretty lousy high school years. And Antemoff did not die easy. As late as 1999 I was considering quitting school to make it happen.

    Myke's blog, however, barely deserves the title. He has posted exactly once, and that a long time ago. If it were anyone else I would have yanked the link by now.

    Start a real blog, bucko! The world needs you!

Lady Steed's After Happily Ever After
    Lady Steed was not the first of the people listed under 1999 that I met. But she gets first billing because I married her. Best decision I've made. And that's not just well recycled rhetoric; it's true.

    Myke and me's best high school teacher, Mr. Bill Richards, a confirmed bachelor of some years, told me that I had to get married. Had to. "I don't usually say that, Thteed, but you really need to get married."

    Why?

    Perhaps because I am a gross incompetent and would likely have either starved to death or gotten lost in the desert by now were it not for the guiding hands of one Lady Steed.

    Not that that is all she is good for. Oh my no. Seven years of scintillating conversation, for instance. And more! more! more!

    But I think that might be enough for today. We wouldn't want to, you know, embarrass anybody.

Nemesis's Voice of Reason
    Nemesis was probably the first met of these three '99ers. In 2002 we would work together doing webdesign (pro bono) (which is to say, as part of a class assignment) for BYU's English Department. Oh, how we slaved! Only to have them scratch all our hard work a couple weeks later and hire professionals. The bastards.

    Nem was one of the first two bloggers I linked to and everything I said about her then is still true. If I were suddenly approached by some house to edit a collection of Best Blog Posts, the book would certainly be Nem-heavy. If you haven't been to her blog before, the time to start is now.

Miss Hass's Happenings
    Nem, Lady Steed and Miss Hass were all roommates back in 1999 when I first met them. So it should be no surprise that their place was among my favorite places in the entire world. Or that I overstayed my welcome on more than one occasion. For which I now apologize without quite meaning it.

    This summer they (and the rest of them) are supposed to let me make up for their largess by coming to our place for a week. This reunion is looking less likely all the time, which is a shame, but hey! we'll always have Provo!

    Right, Miss Hass?

more to come

14 comments:

  1. Wait. Your last name was Thteed even before you married Lady Steed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Time creeps backwards for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    ps: see the ps

    pps: that post predates the invention of the word Thteed (here)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, now I'm all sniffly. I'd forgotten that we were in that English class together. The bitterness I feel towards the people who trashed my kick-@ss Reading Room page has pretty much overshadowed all other memories of that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    You are right to plot a cold, cold revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bow to all you 1999 bloggers. You were WAY ahead of your time. I just picked up on it when it became trendy and will probably ditch it as soon as the next best thing comes along. Fickle woman am I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .

    Umm. I don't think of them actually began blogging then. That's just when they began to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nemesis is 8???? Wow. Prodigious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We WILL always have Provo. And someday California--preferably when airfares are less than $400 a pop from Albuquerque...

    ReplyDelete
  10. .

    Like three ninetynine ninetynine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been advanced for my age. Some people mistake me for 12, even!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something in the works. I just hired a design firm to make it spectacular! You're going to like it! Watch for it!

    ReplyDelete