2026-07-30

Update on HONEYMOON IN COPPER
Making progress in fits and bursts

.

When I last talked about my novel, I was soliciting funds for the Mormon Lit Lab’s Book Mentoring Program. I was planning to use some of their money to drive to San Diego where I was to stay in a friend’s in-law unit and work twelve hour days getting the second draft done and shoving the entire novel into my head so I could see what further changes would be required.

Unfortunately, I never made it to San Diego. Instead, I went to Idaho for a funeral. I had hoped to make it to San Diego later in the summer, but the arrangement of space availability and me availability never realigned.

So it goes.

Getting writing done in the summer is always challenging for me. No set schedule, a desire to spend this extra time with family, etc etc, all conspire to make it impossible. But the last couple weeks I’ve gone to the GTU library several days and put in a bunch of hours and, I’m happy to say, I’ve finished that second draft and I sorta kinda have the book in my head.

[Blue is my daily goal. Green is novel work. I give myself 100 words for every page of editing accomplished.

There may never be another properly numbered “draft,” but I still need to finetune some backstory, finalize the respective heights of my leads, and a dozen other things. Pretty soon it’ll be ready to share with my first reader. If I can keep conquering summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment