2009-04-03

Fifth Five Books of 2009

the fifth five of 2009
.

025) Owly: A Time to be Brave by Andy Runton, finished April 1
    Too cute for its own good.

    like five minutes



024) Blue Beetle: Endgame by John Rogers and Rafaele Albuquerque, finished March 29
    Excellent. This may be the best mainstream, action, superhero comic I've ever read. It was genuinely exciting and emotionally involving and it even made me tear up. The moment where Jaime said Blue Beetles don't need superpowers, for instance, and some of the family moments. Then the nearly-all-in-Spanish issue was great too, even for a gringo like me. The postscripted translation was nice but not necessary.

    HOWEVER. If I have attracted your interest and you're now thinking "Okay. This is the one I will read." you are making a mistake. This book will not work fully without having read the first three first.

    Also: don't miss my Fobcomics post on Blue Beetle.

    three days



023) Blue Beetle: Reach for the Stars by Rogers, Torres, Albuqerque; finished March 26
    Excepting occasional minor missteps, this series just keeps getting better and better.

    two days



022) The Complete Peanuts 1967-1968 by Charles M. Schulz, finished March 25
    I love every one of these volumes. What more can I need from this life? And Schulz is a genius. Who else could make a handwritten "Now, what kind of question is that?" a night-after-night bellylaugh?

    about three months



021) Blue Beetle: Road Trip by various, finished March 25
    He's great. I've said more here.

    a week or so maybe two



Previously:

No comments:

Post a Comment