2008-06-17

An open letter to the RIAA regarding my personal morality

.

End home taping now!So I just returned the new Jenny Lewis album to the library, which returning caused me great pain. I loved that album. Loved it.

So why didn't I just copy it, you ask? Good question, RIAA!

Because I just don't think it's okay. That's why. It's stealing. I agree with you on this point entirely. Almost all the music I own is original factory-pressed hardcopies. Granted, I bought a lot of them used, but there's nothing wrong with that, RIAA, is there? Is there! Thank you.

I should admit I once used Napster, back when it was still illegal. Following that one time I was on Napster however, I ended up buying several albums as a result of the two cds I burnt. Some of which I never would have discovered otherwise. I'm just saying.

But as a whole I'm opposed to illegally copied music. In fact, I even deleted my library-stolen Little Willies album before writing this post. Just because it's been bothering me for months.

My morality is not all clean though. I admit I bought pirated tapes in Korea and I don't seem to have a problem when people giveme pirated music. They can go to your special RIAA jail--not me. I'm innocent.

(Note to ethicists: I know, I know. Just try to forget you ever read that paragraph.)

So. I check Cat Power's awesome album out from the library and love love love it. I do not copy it however. But when P**** burns it for me? No problem. I listen to it all the time.

Anyway, piracy is bad. I don't do it. I hope this clears things up.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Respectfully,

Theric

6 comments:

  1. Man, the Pirate Bay just got even cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So... just how many "giveme" discs do you own that you thought you should write this post for fear that the IRAA might chance upon your looted and laundered library?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a long discussion on this in Sunday School last week. One person said that their policy was if more than one person wanted to listen to a CD ( at the "same time" but in different places--i.e. home and car), they bought as many as necessary. They wouldn't even burn a copy if they owned an original. I thought that was insane. Very letter of the law, so, very moral, but insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    The Pirate Bay has great logos.

    I'm not afraid of the RIAA--I was just being friendly.

    Not even the RIAA would suggest that was somehow improper.

    Copyright law does need to be rethought, by the way. But that's another post. And wouldn't change much of what I said here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, wait a minute: You?? YOU, Theric? You are an advocate of changing the copyright laws? Huh. Whoda thought! Startling revelation.

    When you say "that's another post," you are, no doubt, referring to the muntjac post, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    Oh yeah--I forgot about that post. It probably covers a lot of what I have to say. Mostly I think the Mickey Mouse (literally) reworking of copyright is a sham. Really, author's lifetime is more than enough. The public domain is a hugely important part of civilized discourse and we need to get stuff in it as quickly as politely possible. Without, you know, ripping creators off, etc.

    ReplyDelete