2007-02-12

Oscar Wisdom Frothing

2007

.

And I thought last year was bad....

This year I have seen only four of the nominated films. Pretty pathetic for a wannabe cinephile. (Although I have recently seen both Psycho and King Kong on the big screen, so gimme some cred for that.)

Because my not-having-seen-very-many is understood, I am going to collapse my wanna-sees in with my have-seens.

Small = haven't seen
Italics = wanna see
Bold = really wanna see
Underline = really really wanna see
Red = gotta see

------------------


Apocalypto
Babel
Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)
The Black Dahlia
Blood Diamond
Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
Cars
Children of Men
Click
Curse of the Golden Flower
The Danish Poet
Deliver Us from Evil
The Departed
The Devil Wears Prada
Dreamgirls
Éramos Pocos (One Too Many)
Flags of Our Fathers
The Good German
The Good Shepherd
Half Nelson
Happy Feet
Helmer & Søn
The Illusionist
An Inconvenient Truth
Jesus Camp
Iraq in Fragments
The Last King of Scotland
Letters from Iwo Jima
Lifted
Little Children
Little Miss Sunshine
The Lives of Others
Maestro
Marie Antoinette
Monster House
My Country, My Country
No Time for Nuts
Notes on a Scandal
Pan’s Labyrinth
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
Poseidon
The Prestige
The Pursuit of Happyness
The Queen
Recycled Life
Rehearsing a Dream
The Saviour
Superman Returns
Two Hands
United 93
Venus
Volver
Water
West Bank Story

------------------

Incidentally, although I liked Cars, it's far from my favorite Pixar film; I thought Pirates 2 was lousy; Little Miss Sunshine was a very good movie, but I really want to believe better films were made this year; and Monster House was pretty good, but with all the animation in 2006...was it really one of the three best? Then alas for Hollywood '06!

4 comments:

  1. You really really want to see The Illusionist? You're going to be disappointed. (But I can't review Pan's Labyrinth highly enough, which is why I haven't tried.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Illusionist was fine (but predictable), but Prestige was WAY better for a magic movie. I mean WAY WAY better imo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just barely saw Apocalypto and it was violent enough to almost scare me off R-rated movies forever...

    ---Almost---

    Because The Illusionist is in my DVD player right now and I need to watch it this week. I've watched the first half and I love, love, love the cinematography, and I'm not one who usually notices or cares about the way a film is shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    Well, you can add that crappy movie about the Prada-wearing devil to my list....

    ReplyDelete