2023-04-04

All Work and No Play (originally published August 2007)

.

I've been thinking about bringing back some old posts from the distant blogging past but today I've decided to start. Not because this is necessarily a top-tenner or anything (though it is one of my personal favorites with one of my most-reproduced drawings, including by me here), but because Photobucket doesn't allow the images to just show up anymore. (Meaning the images are once again visible and without watermark. I also removed one dated inside joke, and the once-rollover captions now appear below the images.) One change you'll notice that once-invisible differences in, for instance, shades of white, are glaring today. I chose not to fix those. Apologies. But it's your fault for getting a better screen.

This repub is also timely because the latest issue of Irreantum includes some illustrations of mine with one of the stories. So let's talk me and drawing, shall we?

Thus, without further ado:

.

It's a little known fact that in my spare time I do some freelance magazine illustration. Dr. M. A. Malien is starting a breastfeeding column for one of those ubiquitous new-parent magazines and I was offered the job of illustration. Then they decided to go with well lit but generic photographs of pretty babies with pretty mommies lounging on brightly colored furniture and I got a kill fee in the mail.

Anyway, I had already done all the work on the first three months' columns, and while I lack the medical school credentials, perhaps if you, like Lady Steed, are a nursing mother known to complain that your “b**bs” hurt, maybe there will be something in it for you.

Dr. Malien's main thesis, however, I have already given the observant. Did you catch it?


 


"Yep, b**bs. That's what we're talkin' about."



"First, back to basics: Men and Women."



"Remember this?!?!"

 

"What did you expect when you adopted a tiger?!?!"


 
"Now remember when you were all about the recreation?"

 

"Grrrrrrr."

 

"Well OF COURSE if you're breastfeeding a CROCODILE! Let alone a small army!"



"Massage, ladies. Like this. Do I have to do it for you?"



"Guess what? Breast pumps are fun too!"

 

"Can you tell what I'm holding? Because I have no idea."



"Now take this cow for instance....."

 

"I like it with chocolate, myself."

 

"Interesting arrangement...."



"No No No No NO!"



"Breastfeeding! Yes! Breastfeeding!"

sources of scrap

the George Booth illustrations
the album cover
all other images









No comments:

Post a Comment