2007-11-21

Reaching out into the darkness for meaning or hope or a nice breast to grope

.

One of the disadvantages of being a married woman--or so I'm told--is that you never know when you will be lying in a light slumber and suddenly find yourself molested by a wandering hand with no apparent goal other than stopping by to feel around. This hand does not generally seem to be attached to a conscious mind capable of discourse. Or so I am told.

sleeping loversAnyway, whether the hand is attached to a mind or not, conscious or not, that poor hand reminds me a bit of what I once read from Viktor Frankl--a great man who really knew what was going on:
    Fundamentally, therefore, any [hand] can . . . decide what shall become of [it] - mentally and spiritually. [It] may retain [its] [handly] dignity.
or
    The meaning of our existence is not invented by ourselves, but rather "detected".
or
    Love is the only way to "grasp" another human being in the innermost core of [her] "personality".
or
    The meaning of our existence is not invented by ourselves, but rather "detected".
or
    We can discover . . . meaning in life in three different ways: (1) by "doing" a "deed"; (2) by "experiencing" a "value"; and (3) by "suffering".
or
    Don't aim at "success" - the more you aim at it and make it a "target", the more you are going to miss it. For "success", like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue....
or
    I "grasped" the meaning of the greatest secret that human poetry and human thought and belief have to impart: The "salvation" of man is through love and in love.

It's so true.....

3 comments:

  1. Disadvantage? Are you kidding? I guess it's all a matter of perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I must admit, I never thought in my life I would see so many Frankl quotes used as breast grabbing innuendo. I'm not sure as of yet whether this has enriched or depressed my current state. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that chocolate people?!?!!
    Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete