2017-10-07

Tom Petty Counsels Us as He Leaves Us

.

Today in Las Vegas
they bathe in our prayers
but blood stains
are not
prayer-soluble.

And Wayne LaPierre,
a god since ’91,
grows rich
in the iron-rich soil.

But professionals will always
outlast damaged amateurs
or at least
so far that’s true.

Yet one voice cries,
an echo away,
Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
Some look through blood
and some look through tears,
but with sweat we must stand
to declare
Well I know what's right
I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin’ me around
But I stand my ground

And I won't back down

1 comment:

  1. .

    I wrote this Friday, but it looks like plenty of other people have had this idea as well. Googlenews 'won't back down' for today.

    ReplyDelete