2012-12-11

Lost Songs: Let's do some 1988

.

KFOG's 10@10 hit 1988 yesterday and, contrary to snob opinion, I was terribly happy with the set. One of which I had planned for the Lost Songs series and another that would have certainly been planned had I thought of it.

The list:
1. Smithereens - Only A Memory
2. Enya - Orinoco Flow
3. The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
4. Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - What I Am
5. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
(Movie: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?)
6. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Peek-A-Boo
7. Robert Cray Band - Don't Be Afraid of The Dark
(Commercial - McDonald's)
8. Little Feat - Hate To Lose Your Lovin'
9. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
10. Maxi Priest - Wild World

I don't care what anyone says. I love that Proclaimers song. I love that Tracy Chapman song. I pretty much dig the Edie Brickell song as well, though I don't think I heard it till I started borrowing my to-be wife's cds.

But let's talk about the songs that qualify, viz. I love them and have not heard them in at least three years.

It's probably impossible to overstate how important "Orinoco Flow" has been to me. And yet I didn't know who sang the song from its radio heyday until after I graduated from high school about six years later. What life was like before the Internet, kids.


It's hard to believe I haven't listened to Enya in over three years, but it's true. I never listen to Enya anymore. But I hear her influence in all the music I do choose to listen to. She's in my DNA. And you haters can suck it.


Even though I did find a few country songs to like during the 90s, it wasn't until my brother started buying Steve Earle albums and I discovered Lucinda Williams that my opinions on country really started to solidify.

I still think that if I need a country fix, I can't do better than Steve Earle. So I'm ashamed I haven't popped him in for a listen in ages.


I do not remember this ad. What I do remember is the record that came with the Sunday paper in which, if the chorus could make it through the song, you'ld win a million dollars (or something). That cheap floppy record? Me and the sibs listened to it over and over and over again.

In related(?) news, I haven't spent money at a McDonald's since 1998 when they had 29c-hamburger Tuesdays and 49c-cheeseburger . . . I think that was Thursday.

Heh.

Though it was a fun blast of nostalgia to hear it again, can't say I missed this one much.

Here's the version I remember:


Lastly, "Wild World."

The Maxi Priest version is fun and all, but one canna spend too much time with Cat Stevens. Let's go original on this one. Play it for us, Yusuf! Live!


Man. He's the best.

But mostly we've always listened to Mona Bone Jakon because Lady Steed has the cd. I should really branch out. Guy's got a lot of albums, don't you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment