2011-09-25

Svithe: a vote against rationalization (one specific instance thereof)

.

At church the other week, Femtoman (so named because he makes lasers measured in femtoseconds --- did you know there are more femtoseconds in a second than years between us and T.Rex? in fact, there're about as more femtoseconds in a second than seconds in 30 million years) made an interesting point as regards these two scriptures:

John 3:5
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
D&C 137:5
I saw Father Adam and Abraham [in heaven, natch]; and my father and my mother; my brother Alvin, that has long since slept

And suggested that because Joseph Smith took the first verse literally, he didn't assume it was wrong or it wasn't to be taken at face value --- nothing like that. Instead he marveled and this led to a revelation that led to work for the dead.

I found this a moving thought. Rather than relying too much on our own understanding, we should assume there is yet much for us to know and we should ask and wait and expect.

That seems right to me.

previous svithe

2 comments: