2011-06-12

Svithing Post-Rapture
(what's the point?)

.

Family Radio's website has undergone a major redesign since the Rapture came and went (it didn't use to be this ugly, actually). What stuck me most on this visit however (I haven't been since about May 19 when I listened to a lecture by Gunther von Harringa Sr while fiddling around online) was the Scripture of the Week:

    Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; [and] quicken thou me in thy way. (Psalm 119:37)
This choice displays a clear irony, though I wonder if it's intentional. I think it's more likely directed at Rapture-doubters like myself, than at the Rapture-proclaimers. (In case you didn't hear, ends up May 21 was Judgment Day as promised, just the Rapture itself won't occur until October.)

I've mentioned on Twitter and IRL that I actually rather like Family Radio, Harold Camping's show in particular (or did, that is, until it became All Rapture All the Time --- that I found tedious).

But in their defense, I did find some of there arguments about why no-man-knows-the-hour was not a final statement compelling. And obviously I accept the idea of God being free to tell us whatever the heck he wants. So I'm cautious about saying the lesson of May 21 is that these guys are nimrods. Yes, I suspect their vanity and self-importance let them move from the premise We Are Wiser than Other People and the wish I Want to See This Myself to wresting scripture, but let's not lose sight of the hope they brought to this endeavor.

Even people dismissed as cranks have positive things to teach us. Let's look for those things.

And let's try not to laugh. From the right vantage point, we all look a little ridiculous.

===========

Note: I did not start this svithe intending to preach love and reconciliation where no such call is required. However, I tend to suspect that whatever place I end up in a svithe is the place I needed to travel to. If it's an inappropriate destination for you, I apologize. You can get a full refund at the ticket counter.

===========

previous svithe

No comments:

Post a Comment