2013-11-22

Byuck vs. Hunger Games vs Twilight vs Harry Potter

.

Did you see this fascinating article on Slate? Textual analysis. Cool stuff.


Anyway, one wouldn't expect those lists to have the most stellar sentences of their respective novels. These are sentences that appear over and over and over again. They'll be simple.

But still. Interesting to see what pops up and what impression it gives, eh?

Happily, Recession Cone offered to set his mad Python skillz to the task.* He tested it on War and Peace (1. Yes. 2. All were silent. 3. All right. 4. Yes yes. 5. She paused. 6. I can't.), then ran Byuck through the machine.

My top five most-common sentences (with number of occurrences):

Yeah. : 20
Thanks. : 17
Right. : 16
I know. : 13
Okay. : 11


Hmm. On the one hand, I'm with Tolstoy: "Yeah" makes more sense to frequently repeat than, say, "My name is David Them"---but this isn't a particularly evocative top five.

Six through eleven?

Dave nodded. : 9
Phyoo. : 9
Yes. : 8
Sorry. : 8
I'm sorry. : 7
Great. : 7


Ha ha! Much better. Thank you, Waxboy! I'm so happy to see "Phyoo" up there.

Anyway, this is fun. How about everything else that appeared at least three times?

Sure. : 6
Good. : 6
Dave smiled. : 6
Well. : 6
Hi Dave. : 6
Nothing. : 5
Thanks Dave. : 5
Wow. : 5
Exactly. : 5
Curses nodded. : 5
Amen. : 5
Ref laughed. : 5
He did. : 4
I don't know. : 4
Of course. : 4
Huh. : 4
That. : 4
Hang on. : 4
Crap. : 4
That's right. : 4
Wait. : 4
Please. : 4
Hi Peter. : 3
Benson. : 3
Perfect. : 3
You're welcome. : 3
Dave laughed. : 3
Hey Dave. : 3
The phone rang. : 3
Ref. : 3
Cool. : 3
She laughed. : 3
Ref sighed. : 3
Dave. : 3
Fine. : 3
my nose. : 3
Back and forth. : 3
He is coming. : 3
Maybe. : 3
Gross. : 3
Duh. : 3
Dave frowned. : 3
Hey Curses. : 3


Hey yourself.


of course, many of these are featured on byuckfrags: fairly fun and frequently free


_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Recession Cone invites you to crunch your own numbers. It's just a little thing he threw together for my benefit, but still. THIS IS FUN.
return

1 comment:

  1. Well, I downloaded his truc, and I don't know how to make it work. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete