2012-11-28

Lost Songs: "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls
the blame-this-one-on-kfog edition

.

LOST SONGS: Finding and writing about songs I haven't heard in at least three years.

.

This was on the radio a couple nights ago which normally would disqualify it from consideration, but it's been stuck on replay in my internal jukebox ever since, so I'm hoping this post might exorcise it. I hadn't heard it in at least three years before Monday.


I spent a lot of time in high school trying to convince myself this song wasn't about masturbation, but I'm not going to play that game anymore. It's unquestionably about masturbation. She's not just touching her cheek and imagining he's the one doing it. Alas.

Anyway, this lil 1991 number seems like the missing link between 80s music and 90s music (my paper is forthcoming in Nature) and it's every bit as catchy as it was when I was 15.

I'm multitasking as I write this, listening to cover versions and the more I listen to those covers, the more I believe that "I Touch Myself" did build some sort of bridge.

Now, I don't want to oversimplify this---we could make a long list of songs that helped ease the 80s into the 90s (and that's ignoring truly disruptive changes like Nevermind)---but I think this song needs to be part of the conversation.

So my question for you is: what over songs helped move us from the 80s to the 90s?

(And how many years will it take this time for "I Touch Myself" to get out of heavy rotation in my mind?)

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Jesus Jones for about 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    I came to them late (one of the many things I was unaware of until I got married), but yes. I can see that.

    ReplyDelete