2007-04-23

Planet Earth

Great White Shark
.

I don't know how many of you have seen the incredible new Planet Earth series of documentaries on Discovery lately, but they are astonishing. For the first time, my general and undeveloped desire for HD has become an aching, aching need. The photography is incredible on a twenty-year old television. I can't imagine the awe of creation I would be inflicted with if only I were blessed with sixty-plus inches of plasma.

The movies are now out on all sorts of DVD but will still be regularly recurring on TV for a while as well.

Planet Earth really is like nothing I've ever seen before. Take this video of a great white shark, for instance--have you ever seen anything like it? No? Now. Imagine it in HD. And realize that although this may be an awesome shot, it's not that remarkable compared to the other eleven hours of show.

It's a beautiful world we live in. There is so much wonder and majesty.

Take a look.



(Since you probably couldn't read the entire thing above, Note: This clip is from the BBC version narrated with a slightly different script by David Attenborough instead of Sigourney Weaver. To my surprise, I actually like SW's version better.)

5 comments:

  1. I rather like the place. I think I'll stay till I'm 36.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    You're not going to be able to afford a moon ticket then either you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Note to RC:

    Monkeypuzzles are featured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video is amazing. I've never seen the series, but you've got me wanting to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    It's right up there with lett-opening bunnies.

    ReplyDelete