2005-10-18

Driving in the desert rain, continued

.

When I finally left campus yesterday, the rain had mostly let up. However, the insta-rivers were in full force.

Me and the Lapper (my '86 Accord) drove through some deep puddles, marring the all-day bath it had just experienced. We felt safe because we were following a Miata and we figured anything it could get through, we could get through.

Then traffic stopped and busses and big trucks and various things ahead of us started turning around. Some vehicles did drive through the torrent but the Miata decided not to.

Which put me at the front of the line.

I was considering making a go anyway, but then I noticed the huge, eight-foot sagebrush lying in the road was not lying but spinning merrily downstream. So I turned the Lapper around and we took a series of detours to get home.

The best way to get school canceled here is when there are flash flood worries and since it rained all night in Tehachapi and the rain was coming via the valley, I figured (hoped) that Bedrock High would not be in session today.

But I was up early as usual and on the road by 5:30 or so and listening to country radio and its emotional manipulation as I listened for school closures.

The freeway was closed at Rosamond and I was sent on a detour through the desert. And the school closures started coming in. As I drove through districts, they closed. And the DJs said the rain was staying hard through the evening.

And then the rain stopped and the closures stopped.

And I continued driving through highway-coating rivers on my way to Bedrock where I now sit.

Waiting for school today.

(blanketyblank)

2 comments:

  1. Is Lapper a guy car or a girl car? I'm arguing with my friends, who say cars can only be female. All my cars, of course, have been men. Manly men, too...none of this curved exhaust pipe stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    The Lapper is a girl, I am pretty sure, but she's a bit androgynous so I'm never quite certain. I've never let that come between us though.

    ReplyDelete